Table of Contents
FirstOntario Credit Union
Last Updated: February 18, 2021 (information subject to change, so please go to FirstOntario’s website for current information).
Special offers: no special offers for opening an account at this time
How to open a bank account: go to www.firstontario.com , call 1-800-616-8878 or visit a branch
NOTE: You must invest $25.00 as a member/shareholder in the credit union in order to open an account, $5.00 if you’re under 21 years of age.
To open a new account online, by phone or in the branch, you will need two pieces of ID and a SIN. The ID is verified by the numbers entered electronically, by phone or in person in the branch.
FirstOntario will run a credit check on you, however, should you choose to decline the check, they will put a 30 day hold on any cheques deposited as opposed to the standard 7-10 days for a new account holder. If your credit is on the lower end you most likely won’t be denied an account but may be restricted with the services, i.e. lower limits, and you may need to apply in person/by phone if you get denied online.
When applying online at FirstOntario’s website click JOIN US in the top right and then JOIN NOW in the middle of the next page. This takes you to a series of questions about yourself that will take less than 10 minutes to fill out. (The questions are already set at YES or NO, you only need to toggle them if you need to change them.)
*Be sure to read the fine print on any new secured loans with the credit union as it may secure your asset against any past, present or future loans with the credit union, so read the fine print and inquire within.
- Unlimited transactions
- Pay bills online, in the branch or with your mobile app
- Deposit cheques with your mobile device using Deposit Anywhere™
- Free 24/7 online and mobile banking
- Free eStatements
- Take advantage of ClickSWITCH to quickly and securely switch over your automated payments and direct depostir from other financial institutions – Enroll online
- Online customer support
FirstOntario can help you save money by rounding your purchase up to the nearest $1, $5 or $10 when you use your debit card and the additional funds will be deposited into your account. You set the amount and which bank account and they’ll look after the rest. Inquire within.
- No monthly fees on most accounts, others require a minimum $250/mth direct deposit to waive fees
- Unlimited debits, cheques, pre-authorized debits and credits
- Unlimited, free deposits through online and mobile banking and THE EXCHANGE Network ATMs
- Free Interac e-Transfer® on certain accounts, otherwise $1.50 per transaction
- Stop payment – staff assisted or online – $18
- NSF Fee – $50
- ATM withdrawals – free at THE EXCHANGE Network, $1.50 all other machines in Canada, $3.50 outside of Canada
- Overdraft Protection Fee – $2.50 per month
- Overdraft handling fee – $5.00 per item
How To Get a Void Cheque or Pre-Authorized Payment Form
Log in on a computer (this feature is not available on the mobile app) and select your chequing account.
Click the Direct Deposit and Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) Form near the top of the page.
A letter will automatically be generated, and will include a copy of the void cheque, which you can print or download.