To request a FREE copy of your credit report from Equifax Canada, dial 1-800-465-7166 and be prepared to provide the following information to the automated attendant:
- Your Social Insurance Number
- Your birthdate in mm/dd/yyyy format
- The house number of your current home address
- Unit number if applicable
- Postal code (using the corresponding # on the keypad for each letter)
If you provide the same information that is on your credit file through this process, Equifax will mail your copy within 7-10 business days. If the information you provide does not match their records, you will be asked to mail your request along with TWO pieces of identification to Box 190 Jean Talon Station, Montreal QC H1S 2Z2. It is important that both pieces of ID have your current address.
To request a FREE copy of your credit report from Trans Union Canada, dial 1-866-525-0262 and provide similar information:
- SIN, Visa or MasterCard number
- Birthdate, mm/dd/yyyy
- House number
- Home telephone number
- Choose your previous address, from 3 options, that you lived at during a particular year
- if #5 is answered incorrectly, another question may be asked, for example, what is the credit limit on a particular credit card
Again, if you provide the correct responses, you should receive the report within 5-7 business days (quicker because Trans Union is located in Hamilton, Ontario). Otherwise, you will be asked to mail copies of identification in order to process the request (same guidelines as above) to PO Box 338, LCD1, Hamilton, ON L8L 7W2.